Kim Khardashian is famous for two things… Her ample backside which has a fan base all of its own and her love of a full made up face. She really is the ultimate glamour puss. You won’t catch our Kimmy running out to the shops with last nights mascara on! BUT does KK realise the damage she is doing to her skin?
Most of us are familiar with the 5:2 diet, based on the concept of eating normally for five days and then fasting for two, as an effective way to keep weight in check. However, dermatologists have revealed that the same approach to our make-up could be good for our complexion.
A recent survey by Escentual.com showed that two-thirds of British women wear make-up seven days a week even just to carry out everyday tasks such as popping to the shops, but dermatologists have revealed that going completely make-up free for two days a week could result in healthier looking skin in under a month.
Over 71 per cent of women who wore make-up every day admitted that they suffered from frequent breakouts, but that they would rather use products to cover the blemishes rather than allowing their skin to breathe.
“Overuse of make-up without appropriate breaks can accelerate the ageing process,” explains skincare expert Dr Esho, who adds that this ‘can leave the skin dull with fine lines and wrinkles’.
“Ensuring to cleanse and moisturise your skin daily, wearing no make-up at night and taking make-up free skin breaks once or twice a week will dramatically improve your skin health and appearance in just a few weeks.”
Over half the women in the survey said they had noticed an improvement in their skin when they had gone a few days without make-up in the past, saying their complexion had become clearer. “Most of us feel better when we’re wearing a bit of make-up,” said Emma Leslie. “But we sometimes forget it exists to enhance features – not to mask them.”
How to take the 5:2 approach:
1. Cleanse, tone and moisturise every night. Avoid make-up wipes but if you must use them, take the time to cleanse your skin the next morning.
2. Use your make-up free ‘fast days’ as opportunities to detox the skin. Apply a clarifying clay mask like REN Clarimatte Invisible Pores Detox Mask and steam your face in hot water to open pores and draw out impurities.
3. Eradicate the need for concealer under the eyes by using a corrective eye serum to reduce the appearance of dark circles.
4. Use a skin-illuminating moisturiser like the Givenchy Hydra Sparkling Velvet Luminescence and a slick of Vaseline on the eyebrows and lips for a natural glow.
5. If you don’t feel comfortable going coverage free, opt for a BB cream to simultaneously disguise and reduce redness and irritation in the skin.
As you may well know, colonic hydrotherapy is an amazing treatment which can help with many skin problems. At The Cleanse we regularly see people’s skin improve vastly after a course of treatments. Even one treatment can really begin to make a difference.